Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pigtown's "Spring Into Health" Festival


Pigtown Spring Into Health Festival 2012

"Ketchup on my body, ketchup on my soul. Ketchup on everything!"

That's the line I'll remember most from last year's "Spring Into Health" Festival. During the two-hour drum circle I facilitated in the southwest Baltimore neighborhood, two preteen boys improvised a melody and lyric. We drummed in celebration of their condiment of choice.

This Saturday, I'll be returning to the annual community festival in Pigtown. The neighborhood is located right by the Ravens and Orioles stadiums, the B&O Railroad Museum, and is the birthplace of Babe Ruth. The festival is organized by Paul's Place, a community center well-known for its programs and services benefiting neighbors who need it most.


Jason of R:evolution Rhythm
This year I'm excited to be co-facilitating with Jason Armstrong Baker of R:evolution Rhythm. I met Jason during a group drumming demonstration he led at Sheppard Pratt in 2010. Jason is a board-certified music therapist and one of the first facilitators I connected with. We went to Princeton, NJ together that September to become trained in the evidenced-based, HealthRHYTHMS protocol. Jason currently runs a weekly workshop with teens at Paul's Place so he and I working together this weekend is a natural fit.

Last year I was joined by participants of all ages and walks of life. The community members, venders, and volunteers shared great feedback and seemed to appreciate my contributions. Many said that Beatwell provided the "heartbeat," injecting life and a positive pulse into the festival. I'm honored to be asked back and can only hope those two boys show up.

Ketchup on everything, indeed!

Pigtown Spring Into Health Festival 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment