Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sharing Love With Pigtown

Just before I left for Monday afternoon's guitar lesson, the AP app on my phone flashed a message saying a couple explosions occurred in Boston.

About halfway through the lesson with the 8-year-old girl, her 10-year-old brother walked into the room. "Did you hear what happened at the marathon?" he asked.

I responded, "Yes, I heard there was an explosion," and intended to leave it at that. He insisted on learning more and turned on the computer. There I sat watching, for my first time and theirs, two bombs detonate among a sea of people. The girl asked me why someone would do that. She also asked why our Army wasn't able to stop it.

I had to share the harsh truth that we can't always stop bad people from doing bad things. However, what we do have control of are ourselves and the best way to contribute to a better world is to share our love. I told them of the incredible power that music holds in bringing people together in a positive, loving way. A perfect example being the drum circle I helped facilitate this past weekend. I showed them pictures, explaining that I went into a community where no one knew who I was. I helped provide the opportunity for people of all ages to make music together, most who had never played before. But the power of drums revealed itself instantly and without fail.

With love, I'd like to share some of the memories with you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment