Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Takoma Park Drummers

Wednesday night is officially "drum night" in Washington D.C.


Over the past year I've seen pictures and videos pop up on my Facebook feed every Thursday capturing the previous night's magic. I finally experienced it for myself last week.

The event, held at The Electric Maid in Takoma Park, offers a first-class opportunity for beginners and seasoned drummers alike to drum from 7-930 every Wednesday. (The spring season ends tonight with the weekly events returning this fall.)

As I drove past looking for parking, with four friends in tow, we could hear the loud rumbling of drums, even at a few minutes past seven. We were warmly greeted as we entered and encouraged to try the dozens of drums and percussion instruments the organizers graciously shared.



Many of the facilitators and drummers looked familiar as I've been to a number of similar events in the D.C. area. They are truly a unique and incredible music community. At the forefront is Katy Gaughan, a full-time percussionist and drum circle facilitator. I've known Katy for a few years now and her work is quite remarkable. (I plan to dedicate a future post to her story.)


My friends and I were led through a couple hours of joyous drumming, singing, and dancing. People of all ages and backgrounds celebrated tremendously, in what was an otherwise difficult week for our nation.

I wish every community had a weekly event like this. One of my friends, new to the drum circle experience said on the ride home, "That was exactly what I needed."


No comments:

Post a Comment