Friday, July 5, 2013

The Power of the Egg Shaker

"I usually feel panic when I'm in basements."

A participant disclosed this towards the end of a Beatwell Workshop. Although I was hired as a facilitator and teacher, she ended up teaching me the most.

This was my first time sharing my work with adults in an outpatient mental health clinic. Many of the clients had diagnoses like schizophrenia and bipolar. I had few expectations going into this new experience, but entered with intentions to have fun and to provide an opportunity to heal.

The adults that I was lucky to drum and connect with were more engaged and appreciative than even I expected.

"Trust in the drum."

This one lady's anxiety continued to grow after our session. She was in line, waiting to sign out, proving her participation in the workshop. She expressed how anxious she was becoming, but how relaxing the ocean drum activity was.

I handed her a simple egg shaker.

She immediately said it was calming just like the ocean drum. An incredible insight.

Her persistant anxiety, which often results in panic, was calmed by a simple egg shaker. Just another powerful reminder to always trust in the drum (and the egg shaker).


No comments:

Post a Comment